[tahoe-dev] Object Health

Brad Rupp bradrupp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:39:15 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I have a question about object health in Tahoe.  If I run two repairs,
one right after another, the second repair quite often has unhealthy
objects.  I have not backed up any files to the grid between these two
repairs.  I would expect the second repair to not have any unhealthy
objects.

I am running the following command:

~/tahoe/bin/tahoe deep-check --repair --verbose my-alias:

The output from repair #1:

repair successful
done: 11801 objects checked
  pre-repair: 11725 healthy, 76 unhealthy
  76 repairs attempted, 76 successful, 0 failed
  post-repair: 11801 healthy, 0 unhealthy

The output from repair #2:

done: 11801 objects checked
  pre-repair: 11789 healthy, 12 unhealthy
  12 repairs attempted, 11 successful, 1 failed
  post-repair: 11800 healthy, 1 unhealthy

As you can see, the first repair found and fixed 76 unhealthy objects.
The second repair, approximately 12 hours later, found 12 unhealthy
objects and fixed 11 of them.

Why would the second repair find 12 unhealthy objects?  I would have
expected it to find 0 unhealthy objects given that the first repair was
performed only 12 hours earlier.

This is just one repair run out of many.  I can consistently get similar
results.  I guess the deeper question is are the objects stored in Tahoe
safe?  Or when I really need them due to a catastrophic event will I
lose a handful of objects due to this?

Regards,

Brad