[tahoe-dev] newbie question

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jul 29 23:46:21 UTC 2012

It's IMHO a bug in tahoe that users get tracebacks for things that  are not
internal software failures.  (That being my opinion does not help you,
but I'm doing my duty as a resident crank.)

By default, tahoe looks in $HOME/.tahoo (I think).  So you'll have to be
careful about root vs non-root.

If you make a directory in other than the standard place ($HOME/.tahoe),
you'll need to use "-d nodedir".   Note that the syntax is
  tahoe maincommand -d $nodedir --other-options
rather than the -d being first.

If you are trying to use the pubgrid, you don't need an introducer.

Using the web ui to see the node status is hugely helpful.  If your node
isn't connected, nothing useful is going to happen, but looking at the
status will let you figure that out more directly.

There should be a command-line version of the status page, but there
seems not to be.
I use "wget http://127.0.0.1:3456/ && more index.html" :-)
Seriously, am I the only one who runs nodes on computers I am not
sitting at?

Unless you have a good reason, I'd run tahoe as yourself (or a non-root
special user) rather than root.   My own practice is to have a tahoes
('tahoe server' uid) and run storage nodes and introducers with that
uid.

The pubgrid introducer seems down.  But I don't think you've gotten that
far yet.
  > telnet 74.207.252.227 50528
  Trying 74.207.252.227...