[tahoe-dev] newbie question

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Tue Jul 31 02:43:03 UTC 2012

On 31/07/12 03:06, James A. Donald wrote:
> On 2012-07-31 4:51 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> If it were Java it wouldn't be portable.
>>
>> I think a complaint about use of python is unfair.  But the 'users are
>> regularly confronted with backtraces' is a totally valid complaint.
>
> Every product I have seen that relies on python is hell to install, and requires users to
> have some developer skills.
>
> I do not know why this is so.

The reason for that is setuptools (and distutils).

On the Tahoe-LAFS trac we currently have 35 open tickets and have closed 36 tickets
related to setuptools:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?keywords=~setuptools&group=resolution&order=priority

A few of those are duplicates, some are only tangentially related to setuptools,
and one is a joke, but the number does fairly reflect how much trouble setuptools
has caused us.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥