[tahoe-dev] Announcing RentaNode.nl: Tahoe-LAFS storage nodes for rent

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jun 15 19:53:59 UTC 2012

Welcome to the world, rentanode.nl!

I'm delighted to hear that there is another company focused on helping
customers use Tahoe-LAFS.

I've already had two potential customers ask (on twitter) if it would
be possible for someone to lease service from both rentanode.nl *and*
leastauthority.com and spread the ciphertext across both services.
Because of the architecture of Tahoe-LAFS, it would be easy for us to
make that possible. Let's talk about making sure it can work. With our
current setup, leastauthority.com always provides the introducer, and
since you said the customer can provide their own introducer for
rentanode.nl, then the easiest way to do it would be to use LAE's
introducer.

Note: decentralized introduction, either by running multiple redundant
introducers per #68, or by some more advanced gossip protocol, will
probably be coming out in a future version of Tahoe-LAFS. Presumably
that would make it even easier for customers to combine our services.

P.S. I think the announcement of rentanode.nl should be a headline in
the next edition of the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News!

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/68# implement
distributed introduction, remove Introducer as a single point of
failure