[tahoe-dev] Recommendations for minimal RAM usage ?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 5 20:49:21 UTC 2012

  That's a good point, Greg. I really appreciate the ability to keep
  software off of a system entirely for security purposes. I wonder how
  much it would complicate things to have a separate distribution of
  Tahoe-LAFS-storage-server without the gateway functionality? Note that
  it would still have a WUI, since the WUI can be used to inspect the
  storage server even if it isn't running a gateway.

I don't actually want a separate distribution.  I just want a separate
top-level program to run 'tahoe-storage start' that won't import any of
the complicated stuff.   Plus, a server-only node shouldn't connect to
other storage servers.

While I see your point about the WUI being useful, it should be optional
so that it can be avoided.  I would say that if there aren't WAPI calls
to find out the essential information, so some other command-line tool
can query it, that's also a bug.

What I want to know mostly is 'are you connected to the introducer' and
'what clients are connected'.
But a single call to return status in json seems sensible.