[tahoe-dev] Recommendations for minimal RAM usage ?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 5 20:51:26 UTC 2012

Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> writes:

>   That's a good point, Greg. I really appreciate the ability to keep
>   software off of a system entirely for security purposes. I wonder how
>   much it would complicate things to have a separate distribution of
>   Tahoe-LAFS-storage-server without the gateway functionality? Note that
>   it would still have a WUI, since the WUI can be used to inspect the
>   storage server even if it isn't running a gateway.
>
> I don't actually want a separate distribution.  I just want a separate
> top-level program to run 'tahoe-storage start' that won't import any of
> the complicated stuff.   Plus, a server-only node shouldn't connect to
> other storage servers.

But, it would be nice to be able to build tahoe in such a way that it
has minimal dependencies, and different names, so one can have a
tahoe-server package that doesn't have the dependencies.  (In my case the
smallest machine is a 500 MHz geode with 512MB ram, so it's pretty beefy
compared to a NAS/etc, so I was thinking security more than bloat.)