[tahoe-dev] #466 (signed-introducer-announcements) landed!

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Mar 14 20:06:37 UTC 2012

Thanks to Zooko's hard work in getting pycryptopp-0.6.0.(mumble)
released yesterday, I was finally able to land the #466
signed-introducer code last night. What does this mean for users?

* tahoe now depends upon the new pycryptopp: next time you update,
  you'll need to do 'setup.py build' so it will pick up 0.6.0

* the first time your node wakes up with the new code, it will create a
  NODEDIR/private/server.privkey file, containing the new Ed25519
  private signing key. This is a binary file, not meant for copy/paste
  or human interaction.

* server IDs are changing. The old (foolscap-based) IDs look like
  "rkybwv7hpuwpnyqhwjz43v727orr7fqd". Once everything is upgraded, the
  Welcome page will show new server IDs that look like
  "v0-fcmgu663rdyshncihts4e45rtwjwvc7ebcrtlaiv345yyps667pq". (the old
  ones are a SHA1 hash of the tub's public SSL certificate, the new ones
  are an Ed25519 public verifying key)

Internally, this opens up the door for a bunch of stuff:

* Introducer announcements are now extensible dictionaries, instead of
  fixed-size tuples. This allows servers to cleanly advertise new
  services, and include additional metadata like how much space they
  have available. This will be used by the upcoming Accounting work to
  advertise an alternate storage-server object from which per-account
  connections can be obtained. #666

* Announcements are signed, which means the Introducer doesn't get to
  modify the metadata, reducing its authority a little bit. This gets us
  one step closer to having a distributed introduction mechanism (the
  signed announcements can simply be flooded, without worrying about
  what the other nodes might do to them in transit). #68

* Server nodes are known by their Ed25519 public verifying key, rather
  than by their Foolscap SSL TubID. This enables secure non-SSL
  messaging (sign a request instead of sending unsigned requests over a
  validated-SSL connection), so we can switch from Foolscap to e.g. HTTP
  for share transport, which should make the Tahoe protocol easier to
  port to other languages (Foolscap offers more features than we really
  need, and its need to check the SSL certificate is an implementation
  hassle). #510

* Clients can securely reference a server by its pubkey, which will be
  the basis for explicit "which servers am I willing to use"
  configuration. #467, #295

What about compatibility? All combinations of V1/V2 client/introducer
should work as expected:

* new (V2) clients can talk to old (V1) Introducers just fine: they'll
  detect the lack of V2 methods and talk down to the introducer (sending
  it unsigned V1-format tuples instead of signed V2-format
  dictionaries).

* old V1 clients can talk to new V2 introducers: they send announcements
  to the old method name, the Introducer will upgrade the tuples to
  dictionaries (unsigned, of course) for distribution to V2 clients, and
  distributes the original tuple to V1 clients

* new V2 Introducers can talk to old V1 clients just fine: the client
  will subscribe with the old V1 method, causing the Introducer to
  downgrade new-style announcements for the V1 client

* V1 clients always get tuples, V2 clients always get dictionaries.
  *Signed* announcements will only happen when all three participants
  (announcing client, Introducer, subscribing client) are V2.

What about serverid compatibility?

* over the last few months we've refactored the way clients use storage
  servers, to split their notion of "serverid" (aka "peerid") into
  several pieces. V2 announcements provide specific values for these
  different pieces, so that some can remain the same as before, while
  others are new. (this process is about 80% complete)

* "serverid" will be used to mean the Ed25519 pubkey (but some code
  still uses it to mean the tubid.. this will eventually be fixed). This
  is the servers's long-term secure identifier, suitable for #467-style
  server designation. Old V1 nodes won't have serverids, so it won't be
  possible to securely reference a V1 node, so using #467 will depend
  upon upgraded servers and an upgraded Introducer.

* "name" is used to describe servers on the Welcome page, and is either
  the pubkey (if available) or the tubid. It is not secure, in the sense
  that it could be spoofed, and so shouldn't be used for #467-style
  server designation.

* "permutation seed" is used by the server-selection algorithm. It is
  provided by the server (which can use anything it likes). Brand new V2
  servers use the ed25519 serverid. Old V1 servers use the foolscap
  tubid (i.e. when V1 tuples are upgraded by the Introducer to V2 dicts,
  it adds a "permutation-seed-base32" key derived from the tubid). V2
  servers which wake up with existing shares will use their tubid
  forevermore, since that probably means other clients have known them
  by the tubid, so they'll be expecting share placement based upon the
  old tubid. This allows backwards compatibility for old shares while
  allowing brand new empty servers to live in the future, not the past.

* "lease seed" is always the tubid, and continues to be used to generate
  the per-share per-server lease-renew/cancel secrets. To safely use a
  shared secret, you have to send that secret over a very specific
  channel, which means they're tied to a transport protocol and a
  verifiable endpoint. So they won't be usable in a post-Foolscap world
  anyways. The plan (as part of #666) is to replace shared-secrets with
  per-lease Ed25519 keypairs.

* "foolscap write enabler seed" is also the tubid, for exactly the same
  reasons. We'll need to replace both lease-management and mutable-file
  write-management before we can move from Foolscap to unencrypted HTTP.

Open questions:

* serverids currently include a short version marker: the "v0-" in
  "v0-fcmgu663rdyshncihts4e45rtwjwvc7ebcrtlaiv345yyps667pq". Does that
  get in the way of cut-and-paste? Would it be better to use something
  like "v0fcmgu663rdyshncihts4e45rtwjwvc7ebcrtlaiv345yyps667pq"? When we
  abbreviate these in places like the FileChecker results page (to
  identify specific servers), is there a way to get the v0- out of the
  abbreviated form? (maybe use a "-v0"/"v0" suffix? maybe define the
  abbreviated form to skip the prefix, so this example appears as just
  "fcmgu"?)

* are there places where I've missed the tubid-to-serverid transition? I
  spotted one just now, the "My nodeid" field on the welcome page.

* Next steps: push forward on the Accounting work, specifically looking
  for ways to display (to clients) which servers you're using, and then
  maybe to exert some control over that list. There are some UI
  questions to figure out: I can imagine managing this config with both
  tahoe.cfg (have a config key with a list of serverids) and via a web
  page (a <table> with enable/disable checkboxes), but the latter
  requires some web-security frameworking that we don't have in place
  yet (and might not want to rely upon anyways).

Let me know if you have an questions.. I imagine some of this is as
clear as mud.