[tahoe-dev] Logging howto / sftp with hashed passwords

Wolfgang Strobl news4 at mystrobl.de
Thu Mar 22 21:04:17 UTC 2012

Well, I didn't make a list. :-) The obvious starting point was https://tahoe-lafs.org/, and, if I'm not mistaken, I've read anything directly linked from there. After that, I read running.rst (linked from quickstart) and AdvancedInstall (dito). Then I visited https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Doc and read all pages linked from there.

> There are many different documentation resources, and if anyone
> reading this wants to try organizing and synthesizing them, that would
> be great!

Well, I see an hen&egg problem here. In order to reorganize documentation, one has to know AND understand all of it. I do not, that's the very problem!

This isn't linked from https://tahoe-lafs.org, https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Doc is.

> https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/logging.rst

This explains the why and how of the "foolscap logging system". Some parts are, while really interesting reading, quite obvious, others are not. No part of it answers my specific question: after doing a "setup.py build", bin/tahoe works, but support/bin/flogtool does not. The page doesn't say anything about _installing_.  My assumption that because flogtool is included with the tahoe distribution implies that setup build creates a runnable flogtool obviously was wrong - but i'd at least expect some hints about dependencies and a specific instruction how to resolve them, without breaking the main installation by accident.

> https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Dev

Well, that one I obviously missed.

Wrt. "git checkout". I'm using Mercurial, so I did a hg convert from the git repository. Unfortunately, I didn't find a revision which is identical to the current release 1.9.1. But that's another problem I didn't mention so far, and less important.

webapi.rst already was known via the wiki/Doc Page above.

Extension Development is new an interesting, but unrelated to my current questions. The same applies to all other documents linked from
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Dev

> https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Doc

See above. I've read all of it before asking my questions.

> https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/FAQ

Dito.

So, I'm still completely lost after reading all that stuff.  What is the recommended way of viewing debugging output, of enabling and viewing logs? How do I run flogtool after having build tahoe by doing setup.py build? Are hashed passwords supported in the sftp client? If yes, in what way? If not, a hint resp. pointer to the right place/hook for adding it would be welcome.

Wolfgang