[tahoe-dev] encoding times / power costs on small devices

Johannes Nix Johannes.Nix at gmx.net
Thu Mar 22 21:19:28 UTC 2012

Hello Shawn,

excuse the delay, I had a bit of stomach flu the last days :-P

> > Yes, I see that encryption times don't really matter on a desktop
> > CPU.
>

> Are you sure they matter on a NAS box?  If you haven't measured them,
> it would be a good thing to do.  You might be surprised how fast they
> are.

Well, on the DNS-323 NAS (which has a 500 MHz Marvell Orion 88F5182 CPU)
the time for encoding displayed under "recent uploads" is commonly about
10 % of network upload times, which is arguably not much.

However, there are at least two more aspects:

1) encoding times could affect network response latencies, if
lengthy operations block progress of server responses.

2) on smartphones and similar devices, CPU speed itself is much less
a concern than power consumption. Because waiting idle on network
be way larger than the fractional time.

But in order to guess less and know more, I think it's really
better to make some benchmarks and measurements as Zooko did suggest.

Regards,

Johannes