[tahoe-dev] Logging howto / sftp with hashed passwords

Wolfgang Strobl news4 at mystrobl.de
Thu Mar 22 23:44:56 UTC 2012

Zitat von markus reichelt <ml at mareichelt.com>:

> * Wolfgang Strobl <news4 at mystrobl.de> wrote:
>
>> I tried to learn to use the logging system, but alas, the logging
>> system needs flogtool, and flogtool is missing a dependency and/or
>> installation.  What do I have to do in order to get a useable
>> flogtool?  That was my very question!
>
> flogtool is part of foolscap: http://foolscap.lothar.com/trac

Sure. But the inplace install suggested in quickstart

tar xf allmydata-tahoe-1.9.1.tar.gz (or unzip allmydata-tahoe-1.9.1.zip)
cd allmydata-tahoe-1.9.1
python setup.py build

already fetches and installs foolscap from

http://foolscap.lothar.com/releases/foolscap-0.6.3.tar.gz

and creates a working tahoe installation (i.e. python setup.py test runs all tests successfully, bin/tahoe produces the usual help page, etc.).

Nevertheless flogtool throws a traceback

tahoe at gate5:~/test/allmydata-tahoe-1.9.1> python support/bin/flogtool
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "support/bin/flogtool", line 4, in <module>
     import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

> I don't know which OS you are using,

I enumerated three OS in line four of the original posting.

> but on Slackware installing
> the foolscap package (along with its dependencies) works for me.
>
> HTH

Not really. python setup.py build already installed foolscap into
./support/lib/python2.6/site-packages/foolscap-0.6.3-py2.6.egg and
./support/bin
but obviously, either the install is incomplete and there aren't any instructions how to run flogtool from support/bin. That's why I was asking here.

Didn't anybody ever try to install according to the instructions in https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/quickstart.rst on a bare machine?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AdvancedInstall

says

"Tahoe-LAFS is happy to build and run in-place, from a source tree. It is not necessary to install it (outside the source tree) before use, ... python setup.py build will download and build any third-party libraries that are not already available on your system. It will also prepare the source tree for running-in-place. This basically does a "setup.py develop" into a local ./support/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ directory. The bin/tahoe executable knows that it adds this directory to PYTHONPATH before it does anything else."

And so it does. The utilities in support/bin obviously do not.

So it seems that

PYTHONPATH="/home/tahoe/test/allmydata-tahoe-1.9.1/support/lib/python2.6/site-packages/";export PYTHONPATH

could solve the problem. and indeed it does.

This is far from obvious for a newcomer to tahoe, who just tries to look into logging output because something did go wrong. I suggest adding a line "in order to run anything from support/bin, add support/lib/pythond.d/site-packages to PYTHONPATH" to running.rst. A wrapper script like bin/tahoe would be even better.

--
ws