[tahoe-dev] connection timeouts on VG2

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Mar 26 10:31:53 UTC 2012

I haven't fully digested your note, but a related issue:

normally doing an RPC over TCP is fast, for some value of fast that is
on the order of a few round trips.   So if it doesn't work in say 5s
when normally it's 100 ms, it probably won't.  But the delay dynamics
are hard to be sure about, with head-of-line blocking, although
someplace in the code one can know about the most recent one.   So, it
should be possible to estimate when rpc-over-tcp is losing and give up
faster than tahoe currently does.   It's hard to believe there isn't
significant prior work in this area, but I can't point to it off the top
of my head.

FWIW, I've seen this issue too, with a server/client behind a lame
firewall (I gave up).