[tahoe-dev] connection timeouts on VG2

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 26 13:34:42 UTC 2012

Here are some relevant tickets. As usual, what we *really* need are
volunteers to write code and do patch review to close some of these.
Please help! Many users will be grateful. :-)

About surfacing this sort of information so people can diagnose it:

• Add ping-all-servers button to welcome page:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/81
• operation stats are not sufficient to understand what's wrong:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1221
• the performance stats for each upload or download are really well
hidden: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1375
• New Visualizer is insufficiently labelled/documented (plus layout
problem): https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1265
• per-server timings of immutable uploads:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1378
• more detailed breakdown of upload 'Peer Selection' time:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1393
• new/alternate download visualizer:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1550
• add upload-status page: progress and to-whom info:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/92

Hey look, gdt reported the same or similar issue 13 months ago:
• tolerance for broken TCP connections due to incorrect/restrictive
firewalls: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1367

About making the client-vs-server behavior either more magical and
more automatic or less magical and more familiar:
• servers should attempt to open connections to clients:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1086
• Package client and server separately (I just created this ticket):
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1694