[tahoe-dev] upgrade / my buildslave

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon May 14 00:08:47 UTC 2012

On 5/13/12 3:26 PM, Kyle Markley wrote:

> Should I pretend the old buildslave never existed and set things up
> entirely from scratch? Or are there just a few simple places where my
> system upgrade implies changes to my current configuration?

It's probably easiest to recreate the buildslave from scratch.. there's
not any state that needs to be preserved. Just 'buildslave-create' with
the working directory, the slave name/password, and the buildmaster
host/port. (and start it, and set up a cronjob to start it at reboot)

You can probably also just keep using the existing buildslave directory.
At some point (maybe a year or two ago), buildbot split the buildslave
code out of the larger source tree, and created a /usr/bin/buildslave
command to manage the buildslave (instead of using /usr/bin/buildbot).
This also made an incompatible change to the slave.tac file that lives
in the slave's basedir. So if you upgrade buildbot across this version,
you'll need to use 'buildslave upgrade-slave' to bring the slavedir
up-to-date.

> Also - when building from the SUMO package, is it normal to see a
> bunch of messages that include URLs? I thought the SUMO package was
> appropriate for a desert island and didn't need to fetch anything from
> the network. Why all these, then?

Huh, I wouldn't expect it to read from those. It's possible that it's
checking the network to see if there are any newer packages available
(i.e. the SUMO packages are used as a fallback, but it prefers a newer
version from the network). Zooko, what do you think?