[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:58:32 UTC 2012

On 22 May 2012 17:41, Guido Witmond <guido at wtmnd.nl> wrote:
> The tahoe backup command creates immutable files from your local
> filesystem into the connected storage nodes. It does deduplication on
> file level, so every time your VM-image changes, it writes a whole new
> file into the store. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Oh the backups are stored in the tahoe filesystem ?
That mean that I will get also the backups on my home computer as well
as the remote computer ?
My intention was to store the backup independantly from tahoe
filesystem (on a separate media) because I don't want it on my home
computer (idea here is to have one big remote server for backuping
data for the whole family).
I suppose that I have misunderstood tahoe backup.

> Files that move from one directory to another don't change their
> signature so these get deduplicated very well.
>
> The biggest benefits of tahoe-backup are:
> - it's easy to setup, although not yet "Parent-proof";
> - it works out-of-the-box on many platforms;
> - it is encrypted by default;
> - only you have the key, so no one can read your data, unlike the other
> cloud providers;
> - that it shows the 'health' of your data; and allows to repair it.
>
> That's why I use it.

Thanks for your enlightening answer.
I suppose that the downside is that for backups you have to store
twice the backups (on your remote backup server and on your home
computer).