[tahoe-dev] Potential use for personal backup

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 22 16:46:44 UTC 2012

Shawn Willden <shawn at willden.org> writes:

>> > It's whole-file.
>> >

>> Ok, definitely a problem for VM then.
>
> Probably.  I can think of some workarounds, such as snapshotting your VMs,
> which causes changes to be written to a small differences file leaving the
> bulk of the virtual storage unmodified.  But, no, Tahoe isn't particularly
> well suited to backing up large files.

One thing to think about is combining something like bup and tahoe.  I
haven't actually tried this yet, but it seems promising.  bup does
sub-file-level deduplication and works with VM images, and has a
write-only git-compatible packfile format, reusing pointers to previous
packs.  So the bup write pattern should fit with tahoe.