[tahoe-dev] programmer looking for a distributed filesystem chooses Tahoe-LAFS

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon May 28 19:52:05 UTC 2012

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2012/03/01/looking-for-the-ultimate-distributed-filesystem-take-2.html

"Looking for the ultimate distributed filesystem, take 2"

It ends with:

"""
In summary, I guess the replies I got didn't cause me to change my
mind too much. Tahoe-LAFS still seems to be, if not the best solution,
then at least the “least bad”. Hopefully the drawbacks will be fixed
soonish; the main sticking point (at least from my point of view)
still seems to be the lack of focus on proper filesystem integration.
I'll try setting it all up at some point; I may report further if I
end up finding interesting things.
"""

I think I may have patronized the author, whose name I think is
"Roland", in my email in reply to his previous post. I think I told
him something to the effect that he probably wouldn't use "integration
into his kernel as a filesystem" as much as he thought he would. I
should probably work on a less patronizing way to argue about this
stuff. Probably getting into more specific technical details and less
general value statements is the way to do that.

(I intend to reply to Greg Troxel's recent discussion of related
topics on this list soonish...)