[tahoe-dev] Fwd: incident report

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Nov 18 13:09:51 UTC 2012

killyourtv:

Thank you for the report!

What version of Tahoe-LAFS are you using?

> Just a few minutes ago, while I was in the process of deleting several
> files from the clc (with my asinine for loop), in the middle of the
> process I received:

So, did you do anything else besides the "tahoe ls" and "tahoe rm"'s?
Like, could the 7 GB memory usage in the gateway have been caused by
an earlier operation such as a deep-check-and-repair? If the "tahoe
rm"'s worked at first but then stopped working, that strongly suggests
that something in the "tahoe ls" and "tahoe rm"'s led to the memory
over-usage.

However, those two operations are not "deep" operations -- they don't
traverse subdirectories, they just operate on the single specified
directory, so I'm mildly surprised if they're harboring this bug.

Anyway, I guess a good way forward is for someone (volunteers
appreciated!) to run some experiments in using scripts like yours and
watching the gateway's process size.

Oh! Could it be that the directory you were manipulating is very
large, like more than 10's of thousands of entries in the directory?

> and the tahoe process was consuming ~7GB of RAM and some swap. I wasn't able to access the WebUI so I just restarted. There's nothing interesting in twistd.log and no incidents were reported.
>
> I'll try looking over the docs to see if it's possible to generate an incident report outside of the webui.

Well if it failed to serve up the WUI, then there's a good chance
sending a command to the node to ask it to generate an incident report
file would also fail.

There isn't a CLI command for this yet (see #1856), but you can
accomplish it by sending a POST request to ... let's see:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/git/src/allmydata/web/root.py?annotate=blame&rev=880af4e1fd398adb290ed7cb6c56c1d2306a0481#L347

I guess send your POST request to
"http://$HOST:$PORT/?t=report-incident". The "curl" command's "--data"
option makes curl send a POST request.

Want to help improve the Tahoe-LAFS project, right now? Submit a patch
to webapi.rst ¹ that explains about the report-incident HTTP API.

¹ https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/git/docs/frontends/webapi.rst

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1856# add a command-line
command for "generate an incident report"