[tahoe-dev] Choice of tree-hash

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:11:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:33 AM, <kpneal at pobox.com> wrote:

> This is an important issue. It is _critical_ that $BigCompany not be able
> to learn what is stored on a Tahoe server. If they do then they'll have
> law enforcement confiscate your domain and probably your server. You
> may or may not get your physical property back and you may need to spend
> a bunch of money to do it.

> Plausible deniability is just not good enough.

I'd prefer to implement blocklists that law enforcement can maintain and
participants can optionally opt into. Law enforcement agencies can then opt
into maintaining blocklists of content they consider illegal (e.g. child
porn, copyrighted movies) and peers who are acting in good faith with their
particular country's law can opt into these blocklists as well.

This is the best compromise I can see as far as giving people on all sides
assurances that the system will be used for Good and not for Evil. ;)

That said, such blocklists can easily be evaded by adding a convergence
secret.

--
Tony Arcieri