[tahoe-dev] TWN 40

Patrick R McDonald marlowe at antagonism.org
Mon Oct 22 00:58:38 UTC 2012

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News, issue number 40, October 21 2012

Welcome to the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News (TWN).  Tahoe-LAFS_ is a secure,
distributed storage system. `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_.
If you would like to view the "new and improved" TWN, complete with pictures;
please take a `look`_.

.. _Tahoe-LAFS: https://tahoe-lafs.org
.. _View TWN on the web: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TahoeLAFSWeeklyNews
.. _look: https://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN40.html

Announcement and News
=====================

Tahoe-LAFS Turning Six
- ----------------------

Zooko |zooko| `announced Boulder, CO`_ will host a Tahoe-LAFS sixth
birthday this Saturday.  We will use Google Hangouts to connect parties
in other locations.  If you are using a Google Hangout, please ensure
the Hangout works prior to Saturday.  Zooko  and Least Authority
Enterprise |LAE| offered to supply party shirts.  All you need to do is
sign up for `Least Authority Enterprise`_ and show up at a physical
party location.

I won't be able to celebrate this year as I will be celebrating my good
friend's wedding, the same day.  I would love to see pictures and
thoughts regarding the various parties.

.. _`announced Boulder, CO`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-October/007783.html
.. |LAE| image:: LAE.png
   :height: 35
   :alt: Least Authority Enterprises
   :target: http://leastauthority.com

.. _`Least Authority Enterprise`: https://LeastAuthority.com

IPv6 Support
- ------------

Eugen Leitl `inquired on IPv6 support`_ in Tahoe-LAFS.  Particularly he
wanted to try and run it over `cjdns`_.  Currently, Tahoe-LAFS does not
support IPv6 yet.  `#867`_ covers implementing IPv6 on Tahoe-LAFS.
Foolscap ticket `#155`_ blocks the previous ticket.  Twisted ticket,
`#3014`_ blocks the Foolscap ticket.

.. _`inquired on IPv6 support`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-October/007762.html
.. _`cjdns`: http://cjdns.info
.. _`#867`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/867
.. _`#155`: http;//foolscap.lothar.com/trac/ticket/155
.. _`#3014`: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3014

- From the tahoe-dev Mailing List
===============================

lafs-backup-tool, an alternative to "tahoe backup"

Mike Kazantsev `announced lafs-backup-tool`_.  From the `README`_,
lafs-backup-tool's "Intended use-case is to push most important (chosen
by human) parts of already existing and static backups (stored as file
trees) to lafs cloud backends."  Lafs-backup-tool includes the following
features which are not included in tahoe_backup.py: compression,
metadata, symlinks, include and exc lude regex lists, more verbose
logging and rate limiting.

.. _`announced lafs-backup-tool`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-October/007773.html
.. _`README`: https://github.com/mk-fg/lafs-backup-tool

Thoughts from the Scribe
========================

This week I had a fantastic discussion with `Drew Perttula`_.  Drew and
I discussed the performance metrics of `PogoPlugs running Tahoe-LAFS`_.
I am interested in building a Tahoe-LAFS storage grid on embedded
devices as a means of cutting costs and power.  Drew is exploring
`Raspberry Pi`_ as an alternative.  On a shopping trip to Costco, I
discovered Western Digital MyBook Live which runs Debian Linux.  I plan
on purchasing on of these this Christmas to be one of Tahoe-LAFS nodes.
I am interested if anyone else is running Tahoe-LAFS on a similar
device.  Please let us know.  Drew, thanks for taking the time to chat
with me on this.  I look forward to sharing my results with you and
reading yours.

In addition, Drew provides `one of the best illustrations`_ of
Tahoe-LAFS, I have experienced the pleasure to witness.  I would love to
see this incorporated into the Tahoe-LAFS web site.

.. _`Drew Perttula`: http://bigasterisk.com
.. _`PogoPlugs running Tahoe-LAFS`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/FAQ
.. _`Raspberry Pi`: http://www.raspberrypi.org/
.. _`one of the best illustrations`:
   http://bigasterisk.com/tahoe-playground/

Glowing Quotes
==============

Happy to see that @zooko's request to show the TWN author some love had
the desired effect - Dirk Loss

Tahoe-LAFS on Twitter
=====================

@KimDotcom Why not use Tahoe-LAFS? Use my disk space, give me premium
credit in return? Distributed secure and UNRAIDIBLE ;) [`0`_]

Had enough of this, I'm setting up a #tahoe-lafs grid, who's with me? Or
have done it yourselves? [`1`_]

@tahoelafs have you ever considered doing GSoC? [`2`_]

The second-ever blog (after mine) which is a web app served from secure,
fault-tolerant storage: http://identi.ca/url/73958251 [`3`_]

.. _`0`: https://twitter.com/Alxjll/status/258958005947744256
.. _`1`: https://twitter.com/unclecj/status/259257611906605056
.. _`2`: https://twitter.com/bascule/status/259733406210994176
.. _`3`: https://twitter.com/zooko/status/260007079253798913

Patches Needing Review of the Week
==================================

There are four (4) ticket still needing review for 1.10.0:

* `#1539`_: stop putting pkg_resources.require() into .tac files
* `#166`_: command line order is problematic
* `#937`_: 'tahoe run' doesn't work for an introducer node
* `#1159`_: stop using .tac files: make it possible to change appname,
  Python package-directory name, perhaps other names

There are three (3) tickets still needing review of 1.11.0:

* `#1807`_: cleanup: HUMAN_RE regexes in uri.py are never used
* `#1265`_: New Visualizer is insufficiently labelled/documented (plus
  layout problem)
* `#1382`_: immutable peer selection refactoring and enhancements

.. _`#1539`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1539
.. _`#166`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/166
.. _`#937`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/937
.. _`#1159`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1159
.. _`#1807`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1807
.. _`#1265`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1265
.. _`#1382`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1382

- ----

*The Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News is published once a week by The Tahoe-LAFS*
*Software Foundation, President and Treasurer: Peter Secor* |peter|
*. Scribes: Patrick "marlowe" McDonald* |marlowe| *, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn*
*, Editor Emeritus: Zooko.* `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_
*. Send your news stories to* `marlowe at antagonism.org`_ *— submission
deadline: Friday night.*

.. _marlowe at antagonism.org: mailto:marlowe at antagonism.org
.. |peter| image:: psecor.jpg