[tahoe-dev] Weekly Dev Hangout 2012-09-18

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Sep 19 23:09:12 UTC 2012

On 19/09/12 22:06, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn wrote:
> Weekly Dev Hangout 2012-09-18
>
> in attendance: Zooko (scribe), Brian, David-Sarah
>
> CAVEAT LECTOR -- this hasn't been vetted for correctness and
> contextualized for widespread meaningfulness. It's just my notes.
>

> LeaseDB Stuff
>
> • David-Sarah is happy with Brian's design of the state machine.

Nitpick: that was a joint design between Brian and me.

> Git workflow:
>
> 1. contributor submits patches in a github pull request, github
> auto-generates the merge to current master
>
> 2. human check (to discourage abuse), human chooses whether to add a
> comment to the revision (not to the pull request) with the magic
> string "Buildbot: GO!"

There was a discussion of whether the string needed to include a
commithash (so that the branch owner cannot add a commit after the
human review and before the build). We didn't come to a conclusion
in the call, but I think it should. Supporting that would also allow
more easily testing a revision that is not the head of a side-branch.

> 3. buildbot gets from github the merged-pull-request code

... or does the merge itself. That might be easier if we allow
specifying the commithash (since the merge with master is then
not necessarily the same as the one computed by github from the
branch head).

> and runs it, reports back whether it passes tests
>
> 4. human, seeing that the pull-request passed tests, decides whether
> to merge it into master
>
> 5. ? if master has changed since step 1, how do we restart steps 1 --
> auto-generate the merge to current master, and step 3 -- buildbot
> tests?

I think we decided that since there are only a small number of core
developers, it was ok to have a race condition where the developer
checks that there have been no commits on master since the trial
merge was tested, but another commit on master happens between that
check and doing the final merge of the branch. (This would be a
slight regression from the darcs workflow which would tell you if
there were unpulled changes on trunk, if you were paying attention.)

> Zooko would like to upgrade https://tahoe-lafs.org to Trac 1.0
> soonish. It includes a git network graph and builtin handling of git
> and multiple git branches, among other UI improvements.

+1.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥