[tahoe-dev] User Specification of Servers (#467)

Mark Berger mjberger at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 17 02:35:26 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am interested in implementing the idea of prioritizing storage servers before
consulting the introducer (https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/467
 and https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/573 ). The
implementation would ensure that shares are always uploaded to a specific
server. For example, in a network of local computers with an AWS backend
node shares may not necessarily be populated to AWS. However, AWS is more
reliable than the local computers and not susceptible to the same
environmental disaster as the local network. Therefore it makes sense to
ensure that shares are always uploaded to AWS and not
distributed pseudo-randomly. Is this the core idea behind ticket #467? So
many tickets have been merged with it that I'm not clear on its exact
purpose.

Also, is the aspect of populating the node's server list to the introducer
still relevant? I remember reading that code has been written to replace
the introducer, but I can't seem to find the ticket anymore. I am having
trouble searching for tickets (Error: Darcs execution failed). Could
someone point me to the ticket or explain the project future of the
introducer?

Thanks,
Mark Berger