[tahoe-dev] Random ports

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:00:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Anders Genell <anders.genell at gmail.com> wrote:

> We now have seven nodes in our friendnet and can soon start to rely on it as a long term cloud backup.
>
> One thing we have noticed is that the nodes sometimes report different ports in the web interface(s) than what has been set for tub.location and tub.port. Checking /private/storage.furl shows the intended port, and the system seems to work, so it's just a matter of easing our worried minds about why e.g. 2 out of 7 nodes report wrong ports in the web interface?

I'm not aware of any bug about this. Are you sure you're not confusing
tub.port with web.port or something?

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/configuration.rst?rev=0a89b738bc05f17597555786b8f59dc05c46be0f#overall-node-configuration

Please give more information about the mysterious behavior of the 2
(out of 7) nodes — what port number do they show? Is there anything
listening on that port?

I would love to hear how your friendnet goes. Most friendnets fail,
unfortunately. Some of the people don't use the friendnet, and the
ones who aren't using it don't invest a lot of effort in maintaining
the servers (to serve those who do use it). I heard another story of
such a failed friendnet from some people I met at DefCon.

If anybody out there reading this has a story of a friendnet (either a
failure or a success), I would love to hear it, to try to figure out
what makes a successful one.