[tahoe-dev] press release: LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-Proof Backup

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Aug 12 13:55:16 UTC 2013

Tony Arcieri:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <
> zooko at leastauthority.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's our press release. I decided that I should call it
>> "PRISM-Proof" instead of "Spy-Proof", because it isn't going to help
>> much if you, personally, are the target of espionage or investigation.
>> But it could help you opt-out of indiscriminate, dragnet surveillance
>> of entire populations
>

> Again, thank you for doing this and making the distinction clear. There's
> been an awful lot of crypto apps making the "NSA-proof" claim and I'm glad
> to see you're doing one better. Stay classy! :D

I really strongly urge to to say something like 'Spying resistant" and
not to ride too much on PRISM or proof - neither are well understood
yet. Why link the reputation of something great on something that is
either terrible, incorrect or not yet fully understood being as terrible
as it might be in the future?

All the best,
Jake