[tahoe-dev] Like I'm 5?

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerdsgroup.net
Wed Aug 14 20:43:10 UTC 2013

Imagine you have a bunch of jellybean jars connected by
transporter/replicator.  When you put your jellybeans into the jar they get
distributed amongst the jars and all changed to Bertie Botts Every Flavor
Beans with flavors like soap and earwax, which is what people will get if
they steal jellybeans from a jar.  Some number of the jellybeans are copied
such that if a certain number of jars are destroyed, it would still be
possible to retrieve all of your jellybeans.  When you retrieve your
jellybeans, they get changed back to the correct flavors.  Work is in
progress such that jellybeans can be magically combined with jellybeans
from other jars when they enter the jar so there can be less duplication of
jellybeans and yet you can still get all of your jellybeans back (erasure
codes).