[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS, Tor and Tails

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Aug 19 13:07:04 UTC 2013

Kill Your TV:
> Sorry for the delayed response.
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:17:48 +0000 (UTC)
> Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>

>> Any reason to not have these patches in Tahoe proper?
>
> I don't think so. AFAICT they're mostly waiting on unit tests to be
> writen.

Are there open bugs and a sketch of what each unit test would look like?

>> Also, why don't you use torsocks with an i2p configuration file? I'd
>> take a patch to torsocks that adds an i2p configuration file, if you
>> want. I suspect everyone else would be fine with it.
>
> We don't have SOCKS tunnels configured by default. I'd like to get
> torsocks working for us. (I'll look into that).

Any reason for that? Seems smart...

>> What do you think about a grid that is all Tor hidden services and
>> then also has some i2p eep sites as well? Is there a way to compose
>> Tor and I2P?
>
> ATM I'm not sure of the best way to make that happen but that'd be very
> useful.

I probably would never use I2P unless I first used Tor - I would
probably want to bootstrap via .onions, actually.

>>> Whenever I test our installation script on PCs/VMs that don't have
>>> I2P, the tahoe installation process doesn't successfully go out to
>>> the internet. The installation looks the same as it does when one is
>>> completely disconnected from the internet.
>>>

>>> tl;dr: Your bootstrap script should fine. :)
>
>> Do you want to extend it so that it works for both of us?
>
> I've been meaning to extend it so that the files can be downloaded from
> my Tor hosted mirror
> (<http://lqvh3k6jxck6tw7w.onion/tahoe-lafs/install/>).
>
> I just pushed the script to github @
> https://github.com/kytvi2p/tahoe-i2p-install. Maybe some of it will be
> of use.

Perhaps submit a pull request to Leif's repo? Give it an option and both
programs will exist as one?

All the best,
Jacob