[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #867: use ipv6

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Feb 14 12:26:41 UTC 2013

Randall Mason <clashthebunny at gmail.com> writes:

> I've made some progress with IPv6.  The first time a node is brought up it
> listens on both IPv4 and IPv6.  I still have to figure out many side cases
> and test what is best when there is only IPv6, only IPv4, or both.  It also
> needs to set the port correctly in the furl file after it is first run so
> that it listens to the correct protocol on the next runs.  It's still
> communicating over IPv6!

It's great to see v6 progress.

Are you talking about the WUI on http://127.0.0.1:3456/?  It makes sense
to have that listen on ::1 as well.  But to me this is not that
important, compared to the transport protocol, because hosts without
INET in the kernel are very rare, whereas hosts without global v4
reachability are very common.

For the introducer, it seems to put all (global?) v4 addresses in the
furl at creation.  It seems it should also put all global v6 addresses
(omitting fe80::).   If an address is not present on the machine at
boot, I don't see any reason to handle the situation differently v4 vs
v6 (perhaps it should be an error, or not, but it's not really about 4/6).

I would think that one could edit the introducer furl to add/remove
addresses, if one wanted a v6-only node or a v4-only node, or just to
omit some addresses.

For storage and client nodes, it seems they should just try the
addresses in the introducer furl in order until one works, not worrying
about local addresses.

The next question is which of the nodes global addreses should be passed
to the introducer to be advertised.   It would seem that the default
should be all global addresses, and a config option could limit
addressfamily (like in ssh).   At some point it would be good to have
an option to omit RFC1918 addresses, and perhaps to default to omitting
them.

I'm not sure what order you are working on things, but in my view nodes
being able to register a v6 address with the introducer (and connect to
such addresses) is the most important thing, because it lets v6 nodes
operate in a grid given a single v4-reachable introducer.