[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #867: use ipv6

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Sun Feb 17 01:07:06 UTC 2013

On 16/02/13 21:05, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 03:14:54PM +0200, Randall Mason wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, fe80:: addresses should probably be ignored, as they are meant to
>>> be used only on a single link.
>
> Please do not forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cjdns and related, which
>
> cjdns addresses are the first 16 bytes (128 bits) of the SHA-512 of the
> public key. All addresses must begin with the byte 0xFC, which in IPv6 resolution,
> is a private address (so there is no collision with any external Internet addresses).

The prefix FC00::/7 (i.e. first byte 0xFC or 0xFD) is reserved for
"unique local addresses" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address
and RFC 4193). However, I don't think that the arguments that Greg Troxel put
forward apply to such addresses, in general. It's quite plausible that a
Tahoe-LAFS grid could be made up entirely of nodes that are inter-routable
using FC00::/7 addresses.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥