[tahoe-dev] What Tahoe-LAFS Reveal to an Attacker

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Tue Feb 26 21:21:29 UTC 2013

On 02/26/2013 09:38 PM, Patrick R McDonald wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:23:49PM -0500, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 01:42:18PM -0500, Patrick R McDonald wrote:
>>> Lastly, given the list of the above, are these issues fixable within
>>> Tahoe-LAFS under the current scenario (compromised device) or are these
>>> something where we need to deploy a secure OS to prevent the scenario?
>> What's a "secure OS"?
>>
>> You wouldn't put a node on the open Internet with a guest account or
>> some other means to allow anyone to log in. You wouldn't provide a means
>> for anyone to run arbitrary commands on your node without first gaining
>> authorized access.
>>
>> So what do you mean by "secure OS"?
> Reviewing what I wrote, "secure OS" was agreeably a poor choice of
> words.  My apologies.  Let see if the below better explains my thought
> process and where I am looking to go.
>
> As a redundant array of clouds becomes more and more a reality, thanks
> to the efforts of Least Authority Enterprises and others, Simon's thread
> popped a thought in my head.  How do we protect ourselves against
> attacks from service providers who have full root access on one or more
> of our storage nodes?
>
> Please don't take this thread as an insinuation that any specific
> service provider would do something malicious.  Instead, it is a thought
> exercise to get me to understand better what Tahoe-LAFS can and can't
> protect against and what protections I as the sysadmin of my storage
> grid might need to implement.
>
> To help prevent this thread from be coming a runaway train, let me
> articulate the particular threat models which interest me.  The first is
> the curious, but non-malicious sysadmin for a service provider.  This is
> the person who has no ill intent towards me, just simply wishes to
> explore the contents of my grid as a way to pass the time.  The second
> is local/federal law enforcement who are looking for incriminating
> evidence.
>
> Does this provide a better frame around the information I seek?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
What you would like to do is mount your home directories as loopback
devices with a chosen cryptoloop.
That way, discarded harddisks won't give to much information away.
You might want to mount your .tahoe dir over sshfs to a machine you *do*
trust and dismount it after the tahoe process is started.
so your .tahoe/private stuff is only available in memory, and hard to
lookup.
  I havent tried the latter, but that might just work.
But perfect security is hard to realize....

Kind regards,
Ed