[tahoe-dev] Thoughts about filerock and dedup

Uncle Zzzen unclezzzen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 00:51:26 UTC 2013

Hi.
I've been looking at https://www.filerock.com/ and although I have some
reservations (server isn't open source, reasons to believe they collect
statistics - e.g. web interface has google analytics, etc.) it's still
interesting as something I could tell granny: "use this, it's pretty safe"
(tried this with LAE and she's still recovering :) ), so any insight about
them is welcome.

Anyway - I was reading the slides about "dedupable crypto" zooko has
mentioned (don't remember where, can't find url now, but here's what I
think is the paper <http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/631>), and my main concern
is an attacker's ability to prove I'm storing known plaintext (censored,
copyrighted, etc.). The estimate of what you save from this is 50% (just
charge the customers twice, case closed). What you *risk* may be jail or
worse :(

Now filerock has a very trivial approach: there's a folder called
"encrypted" and the rest *isn't* (and can be easily deduped).

At the moment - everything in Tahoe-LAFS is encrypted (ain't complainin').
In future Tahoe-LAFS releases I'd rather see a choice per file between
"encrypted (default)" and "plaintext (cheaper)" than having to use
"dedupable crypto", exposing myself to censorship/copyright/etc. attacks.

Just my .002BTC worth