[tahoe-dev] how to find out your own IP address

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 2 00:43:35 UTC 2013

Anders Genell <anders.genell at gmail.com> writes:

> If I understand things correctly, making the introducer the manager of
> IPs would also make sure all nodes can connect to each other even if
> nodes in a friendnet use dynamic ip?
> The "tub.location" would then only be needed in the introducer(s)?
>
> We just added the third node, adding to the introducer (at my friends
> place) and my storage node, and we realized while the introducer knows
> about both nodes, my own web interface shows the introducer as online
> ("green") but the third node as offline ("red"). Similarity the third
> node shows my node red.
>
> We have not specifically set any tub.location, but have set a
> tub.port, and are forwarding that port through respective
> routers/firewalls.

I don't think dyanmic IP is the issue.   It's generally NAT (where a
node's local address is not usable to connect to it) or firewalls.

On the nodes that are not showing connection to the other nodes, try

telnet ipaddr port

using info from the welcome page.  If that connection fails, then it
indicates  network-layer issues.

If you are afflicted by NAT, as many are, then you need to set up static
ports for the storage node and a permanent reverse NAT translation on
your NAT box, and then put the global address/port in tub.location.

Or perhaps SOCKS or uPNP could be used to do this automatically.

Or you can finish IPv6 support and switch to that :-)