[tahoe-dev] Installation on Mac

Daira Hopwood davidsarah at leastauthority.com
Thu Jul 18 02:12:20 UTC 2013

On 18/07/13 02:55, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Correct: "python setup.py install" will not work without sudo or root
> privileges. However, "python setup.py build" *will* work without sudo
> or root privileges. The instructions ¹ do not instruct the user to run
> "python setup.py install"!
>
> However, users often run "python setup.py install" even though the
> instructions don't say to, and they often put "sudo" before "python
> setup.py build" even though the instructions don't say to. So, I'm
> kind of despairing of if there is any way to instruct users in how to
> build and use a Python program from source…

So here's a proposal.

Alias 'really-install-without-dependencies' to zetuptoolz' "install"
command in setup.cfg. Then make 'python setup.py install' do nothing
except print a message similar to the following (replacing "bin/tahoe"
with "bin\tahoe" if on Windows):

The recommended ways to use Tahoe-LAFS are either to run
'python setup.py build' as a normal user (and then access the
Tahoe-LAFS CLI using 'bin/tahoe'), or to install your operating
system package manager's 'tahoe-lafs' package.

'python setup.py install' would normally install only Tahoe-LAFS
itself, not its dependencies. This often results in a broken
installation, but if it is really what you wanted to do, then run
the following command (as superuser, or as a normal user if
installing into a virtualenv):

  python setup.py really-install-without-dependencies

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥