[tahoe-dev] Remove node?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jun 6 11:34:15 UTC 2013

Anders Genell <anders.genell at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm new here so please excuse my breaking of any code of conduct.

no worries - your question is entirely on topic.

> We are some friends setting up a small Tahoe grid to use as cloud
> based backup solution. A friend runs the introducer and I run a
> storage node connected to it. More nodes to come as more friends join
> in. When testing things I created a node on one machine but then
> decided to run my node on a raspberry pi as a low power server. I
> didn't manage to move the previous node to the pi so I created a
> new. I now would like to remove my old node from the grid but cannot
> find any instructions about how to accomplish that.
> I'm sure I've overlooked something obvious so I humbly ask for someone
> to point me in the right direction.

There are two answers:

  Just turn it off (the tahoe process).  And then restart introducer and
  then clients, if you don't want them to keep trying. Or just don't
  worry about it, and it will show in the table but not actually be
  there. This is the easy answer, but it means the shares stored on the
  node are lost.

  As above, but also move the shares to the new server.  I do not know
  if there are any official share export mechanisms, but if you just
  rsync over the files under storage and the restart the storage node, I
  think you'll have migrated shares.  There could be more to this, such
  as shares that are on both getting overwritten, and metadata.

Whether you should bother with share migration is complicated.  If
everyone is running deep-check --repair --add-lease often, you probably
don't need to, because new shares will be placed.  And people should
doing that anyway.  So my advice is to send a note to the grid
mailinglist and ask everyone to do a repair run.   WHen you're sure all
is ok, you can just rm the old node.