[tahoe-dev] Suggestion for command: tahoe df

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jun 13 13:39:15 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:52:38PM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I'd like to see a tahoe df command. It should find out how much free space is
> at each storage server, sort them, clip the biggest shares.happy ones to the
> shares.happy'th, add them up, and divide by the expansion factor. When run
> verbosely, it could tell how much free space is available at each server.
> What do you think?

Dear Pierre:

I like the idea, in principle! Although I wonder if the algorithm for computing
"estimated free space" should take more information into account in order to
provide more informative results. The algorithm sketched out above seems like
it under-estimates the effective available space by ignoring some servers...

But, now that I think about it, it would be really cool to see those results
(either the summarized number or the verbose output)!

I hope someone does it!

The next step is for someone (I nominate Pierre) to open a ticket on the trac:
https://tahoe-lafs.org . Please include a link to this discussion in the
archives (https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2013-June/008357.html ),
and then please reply to this thread and post a link to the trac ticket. :-)