[tahoe-dev] git-annex & tahoe

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jun 17 11:18:00 UTC 2013

"Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah)" <davidsarah at leastauthority.com>
writes:

> On 14/06/13 17:37, til wrote:
>> hey greg,
>>
>> yeah you are right, i used osxfuse & the respective sshfs.
>>
>> the thing is that once i mount a tahoe volume, which i do like this:
>> mkdir /Volumes/tahoe-test
>> sshfs -p 8022 username at 127.0.0.1:8022 /Volumes/tahoe-test
>> -oauto_cache,reconnect,volname=volumename
>>
>> The whole finder gets quite unresponsive. i would understand if just
>> accessing the tahoe
>> volume would cause some delays, but i dont understand why the whole
>> Gui is affected.
>
> There's really not a lot that Tahoe can do about the finder being
> inefficient in how
> many file accesses it does :-(

Perhaps; certainly GUI-type systems seem to want to do lots of accesses
that seem goofy.  But I wonder what the trace of them looks like, and
what some caching would do.  Perhaps caching should be a layered fuse
filesystem.   Plus, caching is hard because there's no lease and
invalidation callbacks.