[tahoe-dev] startup error after upgrade

Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah) david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Fri Mar 29 19:16:05 UTC 2013

On 28/03/13 13:55, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Daira Hopwood (formerly David-Sarah)
> <david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:
>>
>> This is ticket #1258. It's a design flaw in setuptools and/or the
>> Python import mechanism; the cause is explained at
>> <https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1246#comment:6> and
>> subsequent comments. Unfortunately it's rather difficult to fix, even
>> knowing the cause.
>
> Tiny nitpick: this particular problem one isn't a design flaw of
> setuptools per se, but of the standard Python packaging system (its
> import mechanism and the standard distutils module).

No claim is made for distutils that it can install multiple versions of
the same package and use the right one. That's functionality added by
setuptools. Strictly speaking, the bug is in pkg_resources, which setuptools
depends on. pkg_resources was written by the same person as setuptools
(Phillip J. Eby) and if I understand correctly, is not used by pure
distutils packages.

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥  (formerly David-Sarah)