[tahoe-dev] Is TGPPL compatible with Apache license?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 14 22:59:54 UTC 2013

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zookog at gmail.com> writes:

> The reason you can't do this is that copyright law disallows you from
> using Zfec, unless you get permission from the copyright holder.
> ("Using" in the preceding sentence means a few things, including
> copying, adapting, translating, redistributing, selling, and more.)

True.  <clinton> But probably "using" does not include using. </>
In all seriousness, running a program is not obviously a right reserved
to the copyright holder.

> http://www.randombit.net/code/fecpp/

Interesting.  That link probably should be in the py-zfec sources in
the "related work" section of the introduction :-)

> There is, I think, one option remaining to you for the use of Zfec,
> which is that I could add the "Apache license compatibility exception
> clause" to Zfec like we have in Tahoe-LAFS. See line 19 of
> COPYING.TGPPL.rst:

I didn't realize you were the copyright holder (of the non-BSD portion),
but on looking at the source I can see that.

I gather that your position is:

  py-zfec should be under a strong copyleft to prevent creation of
  proprietary derived works

  you aren't really concerned with strict GPL, in that the Apache/GPL
  incompatibility is a mere annoyance

  in being willing to grant the apache exemption, you're comfortable
  with a middle group between strong copyleft and LGPL, where
  distributing  derivd works where the other bits are Free is ok.

is that a fair summary?  (That seems reasonable to me.)