[tahoe-dev] can't upload a file

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed May 29 16:40:16 UTC 2013

This is interesting!

Corruption of shares is pretty rare. It would most likely be caused by
something like the disk being full when a share was being written, or
a program accidentally overwriting parts of the files that contain the
shares, or some such. This report you got says that it found four such
corrupted shares! I'd like to know more. Which storage servers are
hosting those corrupted shares? Could we get copies of them to inspect
and see more information about what's corrupted in them?

Anybody who has those shares can share them with us without exposing
the plaintext file, of course -- a share contains only ciphertext and
LAFS-layer metadata like the file length in bytes and the time of
creation.

Pierre: if you could use the "verify" functionality and ask it to give
a report about that file then it will probably tell you which storage
servers have good shares, which have no shares, and which have corrupt
shares, of that file.