[tahoe-dev] Read only (client/gateway only) Introducer furls?

Garonda Rodian deepside at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 06:42:46 UTC 2013

Hmmm... I don't think I've been able to give a clear description.  This comment has nothing to do with actual file/directory/cap permissions, nor about storage space per client, nor even uploading data; this comment is solely relating to restricting who is allowed to offer storage/be a storage node; i.e. who is allowed to contribute space to the grid, because they can also take that space away.

While #467 does relate to what I'm thinking of here in that each client would be able to choose their own list of storage nodes to use (and, therefore, not use any nodes offered to the grid after they make their choices), #666 as I read it has no bearing on this particular scenario - I'm assuming by "brian" you mean "nejucomo"?

Perhaps an example to clarify the miscommunication and/or my misunderstanding:
Introducer (RW) furl is all we have now, so we give RWfurl to Bob, Jane, and Eve.
Bob, Jane, and Eve all contribute 4 storage nodes, for a 12 node stable grid.  All three of them have RW dircaps, and can thus upload and download both.

Alice is also given the (RW) furl so she can use the grid, and is given RO dircaps; she is not expected to contribute storage, and cannot upload due to the capabilities provided.

Alice then decides to contribute 108 nodes to the grid, which the Introducer allows.
Alice lets them run for awhile, and as she owns 90% of the nodes on the grid, she collects at least 8 out of 10 shares of quite a few new uploads, assuming they're mostly done using 3/7/10 defaults (k=3, h=7, N=10).
Alice takes her storage nodes offline, permanently.   With it goes quite a few new uploads.

What I'm proposing is that the introducer furls also include capabilities, and thus Alice, intended to be a client only, would be given a "RO" introducer furl that does not allow her to provide storage nodes to the grid.  Bob, Jane, and Eve would have "RW" introducer furls that do allow them to contribute storage to the grid.