Introducer pubgrid down?

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Sat Aug 9 17:19:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 03:27:43PM +0200, Ed Kapitein wrote:
> Ah, enjoy your holiday.
> We'll see what happens until Wednesday, most of my leases are 3-7-10
> and we are down to 9 storage nodes.
> so i guess there will be some rebalancing going on at the next check/repair.

Tahoe-LAFS does not currently do rebalancing. If you have a file with 3-7-10
encoding and repair it when there are 9 nodes available, one node will get two
shares of the file. If you repair it again when there are 10 servers, the 10th
server will *not* get a share of the file (unless it already had one) because
there are already 10 shares on the grid. So, you'll be left with two shares on
one node (until that node goes away).

The only two ways I'm aware of to do rebalancing currently are to ask the
operator of the node with multiple shares to delete one (make sure you have
enough elsewhere first!) or to use dawuud's introducerless branch (which is now
merged into my truckee[1] branch) to manually configure your gateway to connect
to all known servers except for the one with multiple shares (and then run a
repair).

HTH,
~leif

1: https://github.com/leif/tahoe-lafs/blob/truckee/NEWS.rst