CommunityCube + Tor-TahoeLAFS

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 23:11:54 UTC 2014

Dear Jonay,

Tahoe-LAFS currently has several troubling issues related to
anonymity... but it is still usable with Tor and we've described how
in a few different places:

https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-configuration.rst#torsocks-the-old-way-of-configuring-tahoe-lafs-to-use-tor
https://www.cryptoparty.in/tahoe-lafs
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Tahoe-LAFS_cryptoparty

If you are in the San Francisco area then I can give you an in person
introduction to Tahoe-LAFS... I'm going to start teaching workshops on
Tahoe-LAFS + Tor hidden service usage at Noisebridge regularly.

Currently most of the integration work has gone into porting Foolscap
to use the new twisted endpoints... and also developing the Tor hidden
service and Tor client Twisted endpoints and parsers. This foundation
is needed for Tahoe-LAFS to use Tor natively... However my changes to
Foolscap are awaiting code review from Brian Warner, who is a very
busy person.

It's nice to hear that there is interest in this.

Zooko and I briefly worked on a document-driven approach to creating
anonymity features for Tahoe-LAFS and we created these two documents:

https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-configuration.rst
https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/blob/tor-i2p-documentation/docs/anonymity-roadmap.rst

Even without the "native Tor integration" with the Foolscap changes...
Tahoe-LAFS can still benefit from this anonymity roadmap with some
critical changes.... if anonymity mode is enabled then:

- do not auto detect local ip address and announce it to the introducer!

- randomized client IDs!

I am feeling like my work isn't appreciated, code reviews are
difficult to acquire and in general no one wants to collaborate on
this Tahoe-LAFS anonymity roadmap. I would really like to get funded
to make Tahoe-LAFS have better Tor support. I think Tahoe-LAFS has
essentially always been under valued... and I think by have better Tor
support we make Tahoe-LAFS seem interesting to a broader list of Tor
dev/hacker types... that I think would ultimately benefit the project.

I am also very much interested in seeing Tahoe-LAFS improve the
on-disk and over the wire crypto... as well as a few new cryptographic
capability types such as "verify-only" and "append to set"
capabilities. I think we should also create a development roadmap for
"censorship resistance" or also referred to as "denial of service
attack resistance".

Would you be interested in collaborating with me?
What kind of things do you want to use Tahoe-LAFS for?

Cheers,

David Stainton