Tahoe on AWS

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Dec 20 22:03:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Daira Hopwood <daira at jacaranda.org> wrote:
> On 19/12/14 03:21, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up a system of 1 introducer and 10 storage nodes on
>> AWS, plus one client on my laptop. The introducer sets up, but when I
>> run it, the introducer.furl always reflects the internal IP that AWS
>> assigns and not the public IP. Is there a way around this?
>
> David Stainton answered this.
>
>> Also, apart from port 3456 TCP, what ports do I need to open on the
>> introducer and the storage nodes?
>
> The first time a storage node runs, it writes the number of the storage
> protocol port it is using to the file 'client.port' in its base directory.
> Similarly, the introducer will write its port into 'introducer.port'.
> These are persistent as long as the *.port files are not deleted.
> They can be edited if you need to force use of a particular port.

Thx.

>From the perspective of setting this up on AWS and the fact that I'm
doing this just for fun/learning right now, I came across an issue
that was somewhat of a pain - setting up each machine individually and
then providing each machine with a security profile that contained
this port. So, I set up one security profile, with a specific port
from the first storage node, and then made machine into an image. Then
I deployed that image into 9 other instances. That way, I had
tahoe-lafs and the config set up on each machine from the get go
(storage 2-10 are copies of storage 1). All I had to do was to change
the nickname on each machine (also a pain, but not bad).

In practice, I would probably not want to do this, but for this
experiment, it worked well.

This is also why I was inquiring about a juju charm for tahoe-lafs.

cheers,
Sameer