backup CLI commande

freelab xavier freelab.cc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 23:13:50 UTC 2014

to everyone

actually we are using tahoe to savec company data on a grid of computer
5-10 pc

(this is not our unique backup strategy)

we are using / testing several ways to achieve that

the backup command was epected to do eveything we wanted but it has
behavior on our grid that makes me a bit sad to use it

when we start the backup command

it loads all the files through our helper
the helper treat the files and distribute them over the grid (its bandwith
is much better)
the corresponding directory "latest" created by the backup command remains
empty until the command is fully completed

actually this is OK when you update a directory slowly
and the command runs in a short time because few files has to be saved

but if you have 100GO-1To to transfert this is a bit sad if you can access
the files only if the procedure is fully completed

1to to upload on a distributed grid is not somehting to be done by adsl in
a day ...

is this the normal behavior of the command?

if something happens befrore the backup command is finished
i still do not see anthing in the backup directory (neither latest nor
archive)

is there a way to still acess the files that have been treated by the
helper
or are they lost in distribution ?

if we only want to sync a local directory with a tahoe directory (whithout
managing versioning inside tahoe)
is there another command for this ?

thank you

xavier