Cross platform Virtual Drive

David Irvine david.irvine at maidsafe.net
Sun Feb 16 13:31:47 UTC 2014

Hi Tahoe

I just picked up an email about fuse etc. and the stanford project and it
set me thinking. In MaidSafe we have a Drive library, we are finalising
some API parts of this, but essentially it's a cross platform virtual
drive. So we use fuse, osxfuse and cbfs (for win). The CBFS part is a PITA
though as it's licensed, we did a load of work with dokan and could not get
it good enough, I would love to see an Open Source virtual drive for
windows, but have not got there yet.

The drive actually can be configured (as we do) as a separate process
controlled via IPC or similar or as a library component in a client
application.

If this is something Tahoe could also make use of then perhaps we should
consider pushing this library out to a project in it's own right with
shared development from both teams (it is all c++11 though).

Anyway the library is here
https://github.com/maidsafe/MaidSafe-Drive/wikiif it is of interest
then we should see if we can set up a small team and
make sure this API works with Tahoe and MaidSafe and hopefully others will
also pick it up and use it. Drive is certainly a project many communities
could use and we are probably all coding it to get it done (as a chore) and
it should not be so much work or replicated work in so many cases.

Let me know if this looks helpful.

--

David Irvine
maidsafe.net <http://www.maidsafe.net/>