mini-Summit report, day 2

Daira Hopwood daira at jacaranda.org
Tue Jul 29 21:44:35 UTC 2014

On 11/07/14 23:39, Callme Whatiwant wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:
>>
>>   We actually wrote two separate versions of this (racing against each
>>   other, dueling-laptops style). My (Brian's) version is published at
>>   https://github.com/warner/tahoe-lafs/tree/venv , and also strips out a
>>   lot of code that was annoying me (version string management, almost
>>   everything in __init__.py and setup.py, setup.cfg, _auto_deps.py).
>
> For contrast, the other implementation took a "change as little as
> possible" approach rather than a "rip out all the stuff this will
> supercede" approach.  The "change as little as possible" approach
> effectively just bolts on new functionality, leaving older redundant
> functionality sitting there, so it's certainly not clean, but
> hopefully doesn't break any existing packaging uses.

I hope people didn't get the impression that "change as little as possible"
is the approach I advocate for Tahoe packaging, just because Nathan and I
used it on that day. That was purely in order to avoid distractions from
ripping out too much in the limited time available. I absolutely want to
rip out everything except the virtualenv-based build process, and will do
this with more than a modicum of glee when the time comes.

(Brian, let's play chess or Go or something for who gets to do the
ripping-out commit :-p )

--
Daira Hopwood ⚥