Fwd: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:46:52 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: intrigeri <intrigeri at boum.org>
Date: Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence
To: David Stainton <dstainton415 at gmail.com>
Cc: The Tails public development discussion list <tails-dev at boum.org>,
tahoe-dev <tahoe-dev at tahoe-lafs.org>

Hi,

David Stainton wrote (05 Jun 2014 16:58:52 GMT) :
> Since you didn't read the entire thread... I want to make it
> explicitly clear that there is most definitely not one "proper
> integration" design for Tails and Tahoe-LAFS... AND Tahoe-LAFS
> cannot help with persistence... wrong tool for the job.

This part I got, as Zooko made it clear a while ago on the ticket.
Thanks for explaining anyway :)

When I'm talking of persistence in my last email, it was about making
the Tahoe-LAFS configuration persistent, *not* about using Tahoe-LAFS
to host the persistent volume.

> There could be another track to follow... that might be better for the
> first iteration:

> Do the minimal amount of work possible to get Tails to ship Tahoe-LAFS...
> No fancy backup system. Just Tahoe-LAFS + a GUI + user docs... to help
> users configure their Tahoe client.

> What do you think of this?

Looks good. Still, will need to persist the Tahoe-LAFS configuration.
Hence my proposal.

>> Then, it's easy for anyone interested to try out, and while early
>> testers give it a try, you can work on integrating Tahoe-Lafs within
>> Tails, which is now the main blocker to install the software by
>> default, from my PoV. And the branch that does the integration already
>> has the user doc ready, it just needs to drop the bullet point about
>> adding tahoe-lafs to the list of "Additional software packages".

> OK... clearly am confused and do not understand. My apologies for
> misunderstanding you :
> It sounds like you are saying that writing docs for non-existent
> software would make it easy for existent software to be used.

Have you actually tried installing Tahoe-LAFS on Tails, in a way that
it's re-installed automatically on every boot, and you don't have to
reconfigure it every time you start Tails? If you haven't, please do.
I suspect this will make my previous email much clearer :)

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri