'pip install allmydata-tahoe' now works

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Mon Jun 30 15:07:21 UTC 2014

Unfortunately (unless I'm missing something; I haven't investigated fully) the
statement "'pip install allmydata-tahoe' now works" is rather dangerously
misleading as it implies that that is a safe command to run on an
internet-connected computer.

Recent versions of pip verify SSL certificates and won't download over
unencrypted HTTP unless you specifically tell it to. But, unless I'm mistaken,
"pip install allmydata-tahoe" will still run tahoe's "setup.py build" which
will brazenly download and execute unverified code.

If I am mistaken (and I hope I am!) someone should close
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/2055 ("Building tahoe safely is
non-trivial").

~leif