Foolscap endpoint port: request for preliminary code review

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 09:19:55 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I believe the Foolscap-endpoints-port is at least ready for code review.
pull request: https://github.com/warner/foolscap/pull/18/files

So... after code review and perhaps code cleanup... I can
squash/rebase if needed to clean up the git history a bit: Str4d's
server side foolscap endpoints patch was committed by me because I
could not find a git commit id to cherry-pick... we can fix this
later.

In case you were wondering about this branch of Foolscap:
- Yes it passes all the unit tests.
- Yes it is backwards compatible with the old and new style connection
hints... while it also works with valid twisted endpoint descriptors.

I am close to having a branch of Tahoe-LAFS pass all the unit tests
when using this Foolscap branch:
https://github.com/david415/tahoe-lafs/tree/ticket517-unittests

So far I found that a Tahoe-LAFS unit test helped me to find a very
subtle bug in foolscap which allowed unicode to appear in a connection
hint. Fixed.

I guess in theory until all Tahoe-LAFS unit tests pass... it is
possible that there still may be some very subtle bugs in Foolscap.

Sincerely,

David