Fwd: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:19:50 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: BitingBird <bitingbird at riseup.net>
Date: Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence
To: The Tails public development discussion list <tails-dev at boum.org>

David Stainton:
> Hi,
> [...]
> 1. the Tahoe-LAFS debian package:
>
> This part is done. Great!

Congratulation :)
Tahoe documentation could mention this:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/docs/quickstart.rst

> 2. Tails persistent volume assistant feature additions:
>
> Right now the Tails persistent volume assistant has a user configurable
> list of persistence futures which correspond to sets of files that can
> be persisted.
> The user can selects which to persist or not persist.
> For each of these items there should be a third option: "persist to
> Tahoe-LAFS grid and persist to local volume".

It's good to have a concrete integration proposition! Looks good to me
(understandable and usable), but i'm curious about other people's
opinions. And... would that not be better to have, like you propose, 3
columns, but the third being Tahoe, so users can choose to persist
localy, OR on Tahoe, OR both - by selecting one column, the other, or
both. But... Tahoe column should be grey if Tahoe has not been configured.

And also, who volunteers to hack the persistent volume assistant?

> The persistent volume assistant should also prompt the user for some
> information on how to configure Tahoe-LAFS.

Somebody wants to write the text? I looked at Tahoe documentation, and
it seemed that there is no GUI for that.
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/docs/running.rst looks
complete, if not very user-friendly, so linking to that could be a good
start.

Once Tahoe persistence is implemented, documentation:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/features/index.en.html should mention
Tahoe, probably in the "Encryption & Privacy" part.
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/#index44h3 should mention it,
right after "3.6.17 Persistence feature". Maybe there should be a
sub-ticket from #6227 about the documentation.

> 3. periodic Tahoe-LAFS backup scheduler
>
> This daemon could be part of Tahoe-LAFS... there is nothing Tails
> specific about it.
> [...]

I suggest to raise the idea in Tahoe mailing list... once it exists we
can see if it's interesting for Tails :)

> 4. Tahoe-LAFS backup GUI applet
> [...]

Idem, probably interesting ideas for Tahoe developers.

But from what I read from the documentation, I suggest a GUI to setup
Tahoe client first. As it is, it's quite a geek tool, IMO.

> Tahoe-LAFS runs just fine on Tails.

That's a good start :)

Cheers,

 BitingBird