Nuts+Bolts report, 02-Sep-2014

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Sep 2 18:44:30 UTC 2014

Brian, Daira, and Nathan spend two hours triaging the 1.11 ticket
list[1].

We kicked out a few items, identified about a dozen that have patches
that are ready to land or which can be landed with a bit of review, and
made decisions about most of the others. The remaining issues fall into
a couple of clusters:

* "dependencies vs windows" (2193, 2028, 2005, 2249, 2247): newer
  versions of Twisted and Nevow introduce dependencies that are hard to
  get working on windows, so the easiest workaround is to explicitly
  reject the latest versions of some dependencies when building on
  windows. Not pretty, but until those upstream versions work on
  windows, we don't have much choice.

* upload-of-happiness (2008, 1124, 1130, 1382, 1830, 1814, 2060):
  patches from Mark Berger and Kevan to improve the upload/repair
  process. This is a big branch that we've wanted to land for years. We
  didn't get to look at it this week, but we plan to dedicate next
  week's Nuts+Bolts to it.

* WUI layout changes: mostly tarceri's work using the Twitter Bootstrap
  framework. We plan to land everything soon.

* developer-oriented code cleanup (2281, 2282, 2067)

* .tac cleanup (1159, 1539)

And a handful of other cleanups. One issue is Heartbleed (2215), which
was originally marked as "critical" and the hope was to have the node
automatically detect whether it was using a vulnerable version of
OpenSSL (either by examining version numbers, or by trying to attack
itself). It's up in the air as to whether this will land or not: now
that everyone knows about Heartbleed, the OpenSSL library on a given OS
is probably updated, so I think it'd be ok to ship a 1.11 without a
change. But Daira owns the ticket and will evaluate whether the partial
branch that we have is something that can be landed in time.

Our vague target is to get these changes done within the next month.
Please don't add new tickets to the 1.11 milestone unless they're really
blockers.

[1]:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=1.11.0