upload difficulty and global tahoe status ?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zookog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 15:05:06 UTC 2015

Hello! Thank you very much for the helpful feedback.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Freelab initiative
<freelab.cc at gmail.com> wrote:

>  very satisfied in the quite easy deployment
> very satisfied in the quality of between nodes sync
>  and the general reliabiliy of networks

Glad to hear it!

> the bad thing with tahoe backup is that until it is finished all files are
> lost (because not listed...)

So, it is true that the files are not added to the list of files until
all files are complete, but on the other hand the files that already
got uploaded stay uploaded, so if you re-try the backup later then all
those files that are already uploaded get re-used.

> can we expect something better now ?

What about if we improved the backup command by adding a progress
indicator, showing what percentage of the work is done? And maybe
other interesting numbers, like an estimate of how many files are yet
to be processed, how many directories, total data size, etc.

That wouldn't address your specific problem that the files get linked
into the directory only at the end of a complete upload, but perhaps
it would make the experience pleasant and informative enough to make
it usable for you?

I'd like to hear your opinion about that, and the opinion of others.
In *my* opinion it would go a long way to improving the "tahoe backup"
experience to have good progress indication.

> can we get some examples about other people usage of tahoe lafs ?
>
> number of files ?
> total capacity ?

I use "tahoe backup" to store a collection of science papers. Let's
see, in there I have 376 directories, 2806 files, total data size of
1.4 GB.